Frequency Foundry developed and implemented a strategic full life cycle Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) software solution for Langara College called greymatter. The Foundry performed analysis, design, development, deployment, and operation phase activities required to implement greymatter. Senior management’s oversight and strategic direction for this project was provided by an executive steering committee.
Langara College, through the international education (IE) team, recruits and attracts students from around the globe utilizing representatives in major countries. The IE team is dedicated to helping international students find personal and academic success through strong student support and academic guidance.
The Foundry began this project by implementing the base technical infrastructure, allowing for the installation of its core greymatter product. Langara was given a trial of the core components of the product to determine what customization’s and configurations were required. From there, Langara and the Foundry collaborated their knowledge to determine a priority order of the requirements. Foundry’s development team completed the build through the sprint process which is a sequence plan template for software.
greymatter is Langara’s full life cycle CRM platform for international education, offering marketing, recruitment, enrollment management and event management within a single platform. Additionally, the solution required full integration with Banner ERP and Office 365 Active Directory.
Langara College experienced miscommunication within its international education team. This naturally led to silos among faculty members and contributed to an inefficient recruiting process. The IE team required a more comprehensive and cohesive way of interacting with students and capturing information to be stored securely. The IE department had outgrown current systems and technology as they were no longer using the systems to their fullest potential and contributing to technological silos. Alongside this, Langara also required a tool that would integrate with its current ERP system to allow for better communication with students and easier access to data related to student enrollment.
greymatter for Microsoft Dynamics 365 was the proposed solution to Langara’s communication and data access needs. Frequency Foundry and Langara College identified the key scope areas for this project to include:
· Implement a scalable licensing model to accommodate seasonal / temporary users
· Support prospect management, new student entry and transition, student enrolment and retention (including advising and front counter services for credit and non-credit courses), as well as facilitate relationships with other constituents such as alumni and stakeholders
· Implement best practices in contact management, marketing and other aspects of strategic enrollment management and retention
· Provide a quality platform for reporting and analysis
· Full student life cycle tracking and engagement – prospect to alumni
· Reduce manual process by utilizing automated communication emails
· Improve marketing efforts
· Improve strategic enrollment management and retention
Among all these areas, the solution was specifically needed to support recruitment initiatives and support new applicants moving through the admission process. This was especially evident in the IE team, but would later on be expanded to support the domestic team as well. Given the full life cycle nature of greymatter, there was a natural fit between the key areas in scope and the fact that greymatter assists in providing a true 360-degree view of a student – beginning with recruitment and prospect management.
The following represent direct outcomes of the implementation of greymatter at Langara College:
· Reduction in manual process and resources needed to create and run recruiting campaigns
· Automated admissions notification workflow
· Analytics on segments, campaigns and programs
· Visibility of student success and progress which enabled appropriate action to be taken at an opportune time
· Customized student web portal for service request submission, tracking and editing
· Increased event attendance after using the greymatter app to register students
· Utilization of the “ask a question” service request feature, helping to track prospective students
· Utilization of quick campaigns to send communications to select groups of students for event registration invites or academic reminders and requirements
· Ability to identify which students had been a part of a communication campaign and tracked within their record
· The dismissal of previously established communication silos
Prior to the greymatter implementation, several members of the Langara team would be required to spend approximately two – three weeks, three times per year, setting up admission templates for upcoming terms. Since the greymatter implementation, this time commitment has been eliminated and as a result, has saved a significant amount of time previously spent on those activities.
According to Langara College, the most beneficial piece of the greymatter implementation has been the admission notification workflow which automatically sends information by email to students and agents as the applicant moves through the various stages of admission. greymatter was a one-time setup and the system has performed seamlessly with minimal intervention or maintenance from the Langara team.
Langara also used greymatter to program a workflow to automate the assignment of students to their advisers. This process traditionally consisted of many hours trying to manually sort through enrollment reports on Excel spreadsheets and determining which students belonged to which adviser. Now, the process is automated based on pre-determined triggers. Furthermore, the automatic issuing of letters of acceptance, a newly launched feature for Langara, is saving countless hours of work delegation and is contributing to overall student satisfaction.
The ability to access and manipulate data more easily without the need to make requests from IT or institutional research has allowed the department to make more informed and timely decisions. This is mainly due to all data being hosted in one area, as opposed to several siloed areas. This has been tremendously impactful for management as they work to manage international student enrolment. Langara estimates the time savings allotted from automation and improved business processes is likely equivalent to the need for one additional admissions staff member. By saving time on manual processes and leveraging greymatter’s powerful analytics, Langara staff are now able to focus their time and energy on building and enhancing lasting student relationships.
For more information on greymatter, please click here